Networker

Re: [Networker] incremental backup size reporting

2002-09-26 18:51:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] incremental backup size reporting
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:51:36 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] incremental backup size reporting, Jason Heller...:

>I basically want to determine what my average daily incremental backup size
>is, based on past backups.  The complex part about this is, I want to be
>sure it is xB/day - so the report would need to filter out incrementals
>that were not preceded by a successful backup the day before, otherwise,
>the size would be inaccurate.

You want to drop them completely (i.e. not count them at all, which would
mean your monthly totals would underreport how much you backed up), or you
want to somehow account for the fact that "incr for day NN/MM/YYYY includes
changes from NN/MM-1/YYYY too"?

>  I'm sure there are other variables that
>would need to be addressed too, like restricting the report to specific
>savesets/clients as to not return inaccurate spikes when new
>savesets/clients were added.
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations for gathering such data?  I'm going to
>look into both manual efforts and 3rd party tools/scripts (Bocada, etc.),
>but thought maybe someone here has done this before.

I've done something similar, but not to the point where I treat
"accumulated incrs" specially -- I just assume that if three days were
missed for a particular client then the amount of data that was backed up
during the next incremental should be averaged over the number of days
missed.  I *don't* currently have my backup reporting scripts reporting
this average -- they just show `0' MB for one day, and a larger than
average number for the next day, and then I eyeball average it.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu