Networker

[Networker] Problem with a Solaris client

2002-09-26 04:23:16
Subject: [Networker] Problem with a Solaris client
From: Johan Sunnerstig <Johan.Sunnerstig AT NETGIRO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:13:13 +0200
We have a Networker server running v 6.1.1, and around 15-20 clients.
Most of the clients are Solaris 7 or 8.

For no apparent reason, one of the client(Sol 7, NW 6.1.1) started giving us
an error almost every time a backup is taken.
"save: Cannot bind socket to connection port in configured port range on
system <hostname>."
This happens in 95% of the cases, however, once in a rare while it will
work, and I have no idea why.

The backups run through a firewall, but that's the case with all of the
clients, and the firewall rules are setup exactly the same for all the
clients, so I doubt the firewall is to blame, especially considdering it's
worked for around 2 years without any problems, the firewall rules remaining
the same.

If I look in the firewall logs, I see the client making a load of
connections to the backup server on the usual high ports, all connections
accepted by the firewall and looking perfectly normal.

I've tried restarting Networker on both the server and client side to no
avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Johan