Networker

[Networker] renaming / removing clients

2002-09-24 12:18:00
Subject: [Networker] renaming / removing clients
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:17:58 -0500
Some basic questions about basic operations that don't seem so basic
under Networker:

How do I rename a client?  In our environment, machine names aren't
necessarily static.  More than that, there are often name differences
between Windows netbios names, DNS hostnames, and Network client names
-- sometimes all three of these are different.  Is there a procedure for
cleanly/safely renaming a client?

How do I remove a client?  Or, rather, what information do I need to
keep, maybe outside of Networker, about deleted clients so that if I
need to resurrect the client instance again it would be usable for
restores?  I've been keeping the client-id and the client name.  Is
there anything else I'd need?

Thanks,
Dave