Networker

Re: [Networker] mmrecov NT-written bootstrap onto a UNIX box?

2002-09-20 17:37:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] mmrecov NT-written bootstrap onto a UNIX box?
From: Carl Farnsworth <carl.farnsworth AT DIGIDYNE DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:37:18 -0400
On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:54:37 -0400, Ty Young <phillip_young AT I2 DOT COM>
wrote:

>I've searched through the archives in this listserv but not found an answer
>(so far...)  so I'm posting this.  My apologies in advance if this has
>already been covered.
>
>Problem:  we wish to recover a decommissioned NetWorker 6.x NT/2k server
>but, due to hardware constraints, we may need to recover this instead onto
>a small-end Solaris box.  Legato Support says that this is no problem
>since "the tapes are written in OTF [open tape format]", but my trials seem
>to have proven otherwise.
>
>Comments?  Suggestions?

I've never had any success going from Unix to an NT platform - have been
told it's due to the difference between "little-endian" and "big-endian"
systems.  However, there was a post recently from someone who claimed that
it had worked for them going from NT to Unix (see thread "Backup Data
Migration ... " from August 2002).

What kind of error messages are you getting - broken pipe?  You *may* have
better luck if you name the target server the same as the old server.

Carl Farnsworth
DigiDyne Inc.