Networker

Re: [Networker] URGENT: can't load tape

2002-09-19 12:27:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] URGENT: can't load tape
From: Petr Hanzlik <phanzlik AT COMA DOT CZ>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:29:22 +0200
What make test on SCSI bus ?. In directory /etc/LGTOuscsi you search the
basic commands for test devices. Example: tur, inquire...
If you verify size of block, you must load tape to drive and run command
mt, example: mt -f /dev/rmt/0cb status. I don ´t know what devices you have
make there, therefore I show it like /dev/rmt/0cbn. You will show correctly
adrress inside networker admin (nwadmin).
Atention, if you set fixed block size you must specify it. Example, insert
NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE for your device to scriptfile networker. Restart it. I
recommended use variable size (=0) - you confirm it with command mt. If you
change size of block now, you cannot restore your data.

Best regards,

If you problem with inventory on jukebox, use this command for reset nsrjb
-HEv

Petr Hanzlík
COMA ZÁLOHOVACÍ SYSTÉMY a.s.
Vítkovická 1
Ostrava 1       702 00
Czech Republic
Tel.:  ++420-69-6656377
Fax.: ++420-69-6656668
mailto:phanzlik AT coma DOT cz
mailto:726816 AT sms.eurotel DOT cz
http://www.coma.cz/
http://www.e-commercegroup.cz

                    "Martin J. Dellwo"

                    <dellwo AT 3DP DOT COM>            Komu:   NETWORKER AT
LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
                    Odeslal: Legato             Kopie:

                    NetWorker discussion        Předmět:     [Networker]
URGENT: can't load tape
                    <[email protected]

                    EMPLE.EDU>

                    19.09.2002 17:48

                    Odpovězte prosím

                    uživateli Legato

                    NetWorker discussion;

                    Odpovězte prosím

                    uživateli "Martin J.

                    Dellwo"

I have an urgent problem, I need to load a tape in a remote storage node
jukebox and it won't load and won't relabel.

My server is an SGI running 6.1.2 with an ATL M1500 jukebox.  The tape
in question worked fine in that jukebox.  I am trying to transfer it to
our other site, with a remote storage node, Windows 2000 Server and
Networker 6.1.2.  This site has an Overland Powerloader jukebox.  Both
are equipped with SuperDLT drives.  When I place the tape in the remote
jukebox, it shows in the inventory and Networker tries to load it for
use.  It is marked expired and recyclable.  Networker never comes back
from loading it, and I can only 'recover' by stopping and restarting the
  server and all its subprocesses (ie, nsrshutdown on the SGI--I suspect
I could stop and restart the local nsrexec services on the remote
storage node, haven't tried).  Right now I am using the GUI to try and
relabel the tape, and it never returns from that either.  If I kill the
processes, I'll get a page mesage saying "(alert) Jukebox operation
failed with remote return (-1)".

I suspect issues with block size maybe--however, there are no messages
in daemon.log in either remote storage node or main server, no messages
in the Win2K event logs or the SGI syslog.

Maybe someone could tell me how to check for correct device setup on
PCs, on SGI I know I'm using variable block, norewind device.

Please respond in email as I get the digest and so won't see responses
quickly.
--
Martin J. Dellwo   (610) 458-5264 x6512   dellwo AT 3dp DOT com
Systems Administrator, 3-Dimensional Pharmaceuticals, Inc.