Networker

Re: [Networker] HELP~ How to recycle the tapes?

2002-09-16 05:16:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] HELP~ How to recycle the tapes?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 05:16:32 -0400
On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:07:54 -0700, Mon-Sen Yang <myang AT PSDC DOT COM> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am new to Legato Networker.  We are using Networker for Solaris v6.1.2
with Sun StorEdge L9 Autoloader.  Everything works well so far.  The
question I have is how to recycle old tapes.  The Sun StorEdge L9 has 9
tape slots in it.  When all 9 tapes are full, what I did is take out all
the tapes and insert fresh tapes, then use NWADMIN to label those tapes.
By doing this, Networker will also mount those tapes and continue the
backups.  We just used up all tapes and I would like to recycle tapes from
the first one.  I took out the last set of the tapes from L9 and insert set
of old tapes that was labeled 001~009.  I can't figure out how to tell
networker that I insert those tapes for recycling purpose.  Any idea?

>I did try to mount those tapes after I insert, but seems like I can only
mount one at a time and takes 10 min to do so.  After mount the old tape,
it still can't do the backup because those tapes are full.  Can someone
instruct me simple steps to make things work?  Thank you so much

The other responses to this question, although technically correct, have
missed the basic issue that you need to understand. You should be planning
your backup strategy based on defining a retention policy that suits your
environment. This might be governed by business requirements, or legal
reasons, or just on how many tapes you can afford to buy, but these
policies in turn will determine when your tapes become recyclable. When the
tapes become recyclable NetWorker will recycle them automatically if they
are in your jukebox. If the recyclable tapes are not in your jukebox you
need to put them in, then run an inventory (from the GUI or by using nsrjb -
I). If none of your tapes have yet become recyclable you need to rethink
your retention policies or buy more tapes. You can use the solutions
suggested by others to prematurely recycle tapes, but be careful that you
don't recycle tapes containing data that you might want to keep.