Networker

Re: [Networker] Dynamic Drive Sharing

2002-09-13 13:31:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Dynamic Drive Sharing
From: "Rohrich, James" <rohrich AT UOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:29:47 -0500
We have adopted it in a cluster node environment. We have 6 drives that will
be shared as amongst 3 clusters with 6 nodes. Each node is assigned a tape
drive with sharing allowed across some of them. We have 4.6 terabyte san
that is being backed up with this system, each node in the cluster is also a
Legato storage node. It appears to be working but we have not brought up all
of the nodes yet. With the DDS all of the tape drives known by the primary
backup system automatically unload tape drives after a specified time. This
parameter can be adjusted. One item I do not like is although a tape drive
is no longer being used, one of the other systems will not pick it up until
the tape drive is unloaded by the timeout feature. I find myself balancing
between a short time necessary for those using DDS versus a long time for
those without DDS. Our tape drives are 9840's which load and unload very
fast, but I don't like have tapes auto unload and within a minute or two the
same tape reloaded.

This solution was a cost effective way of getting more use out of the active
tape drives, and reduced the number needed to support the SAN.