Networker

[Networker] Problem starting nwrecover on Linux

2002-09-13 10:54:05
Subject: [Networker] Problem starting nwrecover on Linux
From: Anthony Mancini <it.amancini AT OLDHAM.GOV DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:54:03 -0400
Hi All,

I am having problems starting the nwrecover program on *all* my Linux
servers after they have been re-installed.

When I install Linux and the Legato client I can start nwrecover, and
everything works great, backups go well, and I can individual recover on
files when I need to using the nwrecover GUI.

The problem is when I have to recover a whole server...

If I re-install the server from scratch, using all the same settings and
options for the OS, and then install the Legato client, I am unable to
start nwrecover. I can use the recover command, and recover things, but
this isn't ideal for everything.

The client exits with this error :

mccall@neptune:~ > nwrecover -s legato1.oldham.gov.uk
nwrecover:
        The font set specified for the browser windows is unavailable.
        Please correct the 'BrowserFontList:' resource in X resources.
        More information is available in the X11 documentation.

I spent a long time trying to chase down the problem thinking it was an X-
Windows problem, but later found out that the error isn't anything to do
with X-Windows, or fonts, and the error is totally miss-leading.

If I delete the index off of the Legato server from /nsr/index/<server
name> I can then start the nwrecover program with no problems... however I
am unable to recover anything due to the index being missing!

As soon as I restore the index on the server, I am once again unable to
start nwrecover, with the same error as above.

This isn't a one off problem. I have tested it on all the servers I have,
once a server has been backed up, I am unable to re-install any of them
from scratch and recover using the GUI.

I know that I must be doing something wrong, because this basically means
that Legato is useless (in a GUI mode) as a backup system.

Some random information for anyone who is trying to help :)

Distro : SuSE Linux 7.2 Professional - default install - no changes to
software. Networker Client version 6.1.1. If you require anything more,
email me and I can let you know.

Thanks

AM.