Networker

Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] target sessions

2002-09-04 09:33:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] target sessions
From: J.Slee AT OPEN.AC DOT UK
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:36:10 +0100
        A late thought on this thread  (I have been away for a while).

        We are lucky to get much more than 5 MB second out of our NT clients
no matter how many streams are running from it.  If we have client
parallelism set high so that it writes to more than one tape then neither
tape is kept streaming.  Also if you have high target values on tapes then
restores will take a long time.

        So we are running 6 drives with target set to 2 each and client
parallelism set to 2 and server parallelism set to 18.  Note we have not set
server parallelism to 12 (6 X 2) as the target value is not a hard limit.
This way if we have 12 or less streams they are spread across the tapes
nicely for fast restores, but if we have to run a lot of back ups then
nothing hangs as the target sessions per tape get overridden.

                Jamie