Networker

Re: [Networker] Duplicate Copy Strategy

2002-08-27 11:29:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Duplicate Copy Strategy
From: Carl Farnsworth <carl.farnsworth AT DIGIDYNE DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:32:30 -0400
One approach to this is to send the original tapes for offsite storage, not
the clones.  2 advantages: a) you know the original tapes are good, they've
just been completely read, and b) you can recycle clones without worrying
about affecting originals.  Downside is that doing restores from original
tapes may be slower, but most of the time, you're using your (now) onsite
clones anyway.

This way you can extend retention on originals for 7 years or whatever
(either nsrmm command or set up Monthly clients, pools, groups,
schedules...) to keep their indexes online, but now you'll have to manually
recycle the clones to re-use them.

About separate record of what's on tape: I advise clients to simply print
off "mminfo -av" listing to go with each batch of tapes sent offsite.

$.02
Carl Farnsworth
DigiDyne Inc.