Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto Cleaning on SmartMedia Connected JukeBoxes

2002-08-20 12:32:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto Cleaning on SmartMedia Connected JukeBoxes
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:35:00 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Auto Cleaning on SmartMedia Connected JukeBoxes,...:

>I've a STK_9710 managed by SmartMedia and used by Networker 6.1.1.. Is it
>possible to do auto cleaning in this setup? On the  STK L700, the jukebox
>has its own drive cleaning system independent of Networker.. so all I
>have to do is have ample cleaning cartridges in the playground area and
>it will auto clean itself... SInce I do not have a 9710 manual, I cannot
>be sure if the same is true --- auto cleaning features on its own...

You can enable the 9710 to auto clean, that's the way we're using ours.
There are two designated cleaning spots in the 9710, but one is DLT
specific and one is 3480 specific, so unless you have mixed drive types
in your library you really only have one designated cleaning tape slot
that's useful to you in your library.

Auto clean and cleaning cartridge swapping can be handled through the
front panel of the library.  Be advised: it's not documented anywhere that
I've found, but to swap out a used cleaning tape, all 14 load ports must
be empty when you begin the procedure.

I assume it's possible to somehow query the robot programmatically and
find out if the cleaning cartridge is used up, but the STK documentation
that I have access to doesn't document it.  The front panel on the library
will tell you when the cleaning tape is used up and needs to be replaced,
but it would be nice to be able to query the library from the host and
find out that tidbit, so I don't have to drive to our remote data center
just to check it out...

Auto clean has worked very well for us in the years we've been using it,
*but* we don't have SmartMedia, so I don't know if that's going to impact
how well it would work for you.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu