Networker

Re: [Networker] moving/merging the database

2002-08-13 14:42:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] moving/merging the database
From: "Chad R. Larson" <clarson AT ELDOCOMP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:44:50 -0700
The official answer I got from Sun storage support (we're using the OEMd
Networker called Solstice Backup) is that "You can't. You have to use
"scanner" on every tape."  Yeah, right.  I've got a couple hundred DLT IV
cartridges, most of which are in an off-site storage facility.  I don't see
that happening.

Running "strings" on the binaries in /usr/sbin/nsr seems to imply the
database is some form of Sybase, so there may be some general purpose
utilities that can do it.

What I'm experimenting with at the moment, is to create a new client with a
name like "foo.old".  I then plan to replace the directory created under
/nsr/index with the one from the old server for client "foo".

I'll let the list know if that works.

If it does not, I'm guessing I will pick up the entire /nsr from the old
system and install it on the new one, and create a /nsr symbolic link to
use as a rail yard switch. If I ever need access to the old database, I'd
run nsr_shutdown, re-point the symlink and then run "/etc/init.d/networker
start".  I suspect that will take some fiddling with the license entries in
the resource files for that to work.

At 10:51 AM 8/13/02 , you wrote:
Your message dated: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:59:47 PDT

> However, now I've got media indexes on both machines, and I'm about to shut
> the old one down.  Is there a reasonable way to migrate its /nsr/{mm,index}
> directories to the new machine, and merge the contents?  Otherwise, doing
> recoveries from tapes created before the move is going to be a problem.
>          -crl

Did you ever get a reply to that?  I didn't see one.  We will be doing
something similar soon, and I was wondering what you may have learned.

        Mike

        -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad AT eldocomp DOT com
  Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100