Networker

[Networker] SUMMARY: Corrupt save sets?

2002-08-11 22:38:41
Subject: [Networker] SUMMARY: Corrupt save sets?
From: Koef <koef AT WEBBING.ORIGIN-SRV DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:29:02 +0200
Original problem:

> Server: NetWorker 6.0.1.Build.174 on Linux
> Client: NetWorker 6.0.1 on Windows 2000
>
> Server has backupped the client for months without errors.
> Recently the client's C:\ disk died. After reinstalling the OS and Networker
> client, firing up Networker User and pressing the "Recover" button, after
> some time the message appears,
>
>   No index was found. You have not backed up any files from this machine.
>   If you are doing a directed recover you have not backed up any files from
>   the selected client, or you need to be connected to the server as the
>   supervisor.
>
> Then I tried a save set recover from the client's GUI:
>
>   You cannot browse the save sets for the chosen client.
>
> On the server, I can see all the savesets for this client just fine.
> Guessing there was something wrong with the indexes, I used scanner -i
> to recover all indexes from tape. No difference.
> Then I recovered a save set for this client on the server itself:
>
>   # scanner -v -S 707250433 /dev/nst0 > clientname.scan
>
> Using "strings clientname.scan" I saw familiair windows 2000 filenames.
> However,
>
>   # /usr/lib/nsr/uasm -r -n -v < clientname.scan
>
> gives no output at all. As a sanity check, I did the same test for
> a different windows 2000 client in my network and it gave me the expected
> list of files in the save set.
> I recovered all save sets for the disaster client, and on none of them
> uasm showed any files in them. It seems the save sets are somehow corrupted.
> Copying clientname.scan to the windows machine and use UASM.EXE on it
> gives also nothing.

It turned out that the windows 2000 client had NetWorker version 6.1.2
installed prior to the disaster. The server runs 6.0.1, and apparently
the uasm program from 6.1.2 creates savesets that the 6.0.1 uasm program
cannot decipher. I installed 6.1.2 on the client and now I can recover
my savesets just fine.

Thanks to all that responded.

--
Koef.