Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Encrypted and unencrypted jobs

2017-06-16 19:42:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] Encrypted and unencrypted jobs
From: Philipp Wagner <mailing AT phiwa DOT eu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 01:02:51 +0200
Hello,

some days ago I enabled data encryption in my bacula 5.2 setup.
I followed the instructions at http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Data_Encryption.html and it works like a charm.

In my environment, I use bacula to back up rather huge amounts at data (about 100-200 TB) and I do not need encryption for this data, but I also use bacula to create normal backups of machines which contain only small amounts of data (e.g. /etc and /home) and there I would definitely prefer an encrypted backup in case a tape gets into "the wrong hands".
Since some of the clients connected to the huge storage system need to be backed up in both use cases, I do not really know, how to handle the situation in bacula.
As far as I understood the manual, you can only decide to encrypt all backups for a client or not to encrypt any of them, but there is no option to differentiate between encrypted and unencrypted jobs, right?
If there is a possibility I simply did not see or any "workaround", that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any input from your side!

Kind Regards,
Philipp Wagner