Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Director on FreeBSD using Amazon VTL

2017-06-13 20:11:32
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Director on FreeBSD using Amazon VTL
From: Mark Radabaugh <mark AT amplex DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 19:55:47 -0400
Greetings…

Hopefully not a question that has been asked already - my Google-Fu was failing me in the archives.

Our standard OS is FreeBSD and I’m trying to get the director and storage working on a FreeBSD 11 machine using Amazon VTL as the storage.  Yeah, tapes - I know, but sometimes I like the old ways.

Does anyone have this working that would be willing to compare notes?   I have it to the status of ‘almost but not entirely working’ and trying to decide if it’s worth continuing to try or just give up and install it on Linux.

Current issues:

FreeBSD iscsictl randomly assignes device nodes on startup.  Linux has UDEV to address this issue.  I’m not finding a corresponding feature on FreeBSD.  device.hints works for standard SCSI devices but doesn’t appear to be an option for iscsi.

btape fails it’s write test.   The Amazon VTL drive appears to do what it should do if I write files, EOF, etc. and reads/writes as I expect it to.  The btest rewinds tape, writes it’s 10,000 blocks, a EOF, it’s 10,000 blocks and the EOF marker.  Readback of the first 10000 succeeds normally and then it dies when it tries to read an EOF (if I’m reading the source correctly).  I don’t think it should try to read an EOF but perhaps that’s not an error on a physical drive.

Backup jobs succeed (at least when not appending to existing tapes) and can be restored until they cross a file boundary on the tape at which point they fail, likely for the same reason as above.

I wasn’t having any luck with MTX so I am using the rc-chio-changer script to move tapes.   The chio return function does not function - it always gives ‘no source information’.    Bacula expects that command to work.  I’m guessing this is a issue with the Amazon tape changer emulation.

Worth continuing to fight with?   Or give up on Beastie?

Thanks!

Mark