Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down

2017-06-07 16:38:30
Subject: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down
From: Ian Douglas <ian AT zti.co DOT za>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 21:50:30 +0200
Hi all

Lately I've been getting errors like

  Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down

where I'm trying to back up files from a NAS box (FreeNAS), and the target
folder is mounted on this box, as was recommended to me on this list.

So the folder does not get backed up.

If I run the job manually then it works.

Other succeeding jobs run right after the failed one work okay.

Oddly enough I tried from the command line and results were puzzling:

====================
~ $ ls /home/ian/nas1stuff/
ls: cannot access '/home/ian/nas1stuff/': Host is down
~ $ cd
~ $ cd /home/ian/nas1stuff/
~/nas1stuff $ ls /home/ian/nas1stuff/

and that worked... so why would I get a Host is down message?

So now trying to determine where the problem is...

1. Bacula ?
2. FreeNAS ?
3. something on my system doing the SMB stuff ?

Something else?

I don't know if it is related but lately I've noticed a lot of up/down traffic
between this box and the three NAS boxes... even when I'm not actually doing
anything on the NAS boxes. Am just worried it's some malware encrypting my
drives. This box is Linux, the three NAS boxes are FreeNAS (== FreeBSD based).

Any ideas as to where to look to solve the issue gratefully received. Google
was not helpful, unless I searched for the wrong things...

Thanks, Ian
--
ian AT zti.co DOT za http://www.zti.co.za
Zero 2 Infinity - The net.works