Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Beta release 7.9.2

2017-06-06 10:49:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Beta release 7.9.2
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 16:48:18 +0200
Hello Martin,

Yes, what you are seeing is the framework for those plugins.

The cloud plugin + source code is still being developed, and will be released after the first of the year. We will release the cloud plugin source code.

The aligned volume plugin is a somewhat special case. Bacula Systems has filed a patent for the technology (patent pending), and we are advised not to release the source code prior to obtaining the full patent. However, we will be releasing the binary plugin for it.

There are some important points with these new plugins:

1. They work only with the binaries they are built with.

2. Production of community binaries are in the process of being produced. They also require changes to the web site. I am hoping the binaries will be released with the production 9.0.0 later this month. I depend on Bacula Systems to produce these binaries.

3. The community binaries for the most part are installed into /opt/bacula rather that sprayed all over a the OS filesystem.

I hope this answers your questions about the cloud and aligned plugins.

We do not use the --disable-libtool option, and in fact we will be making more and more use of shared objects and runtime loaded shared objects such as the cloud and aligned plugins. If you would like to have the --disable-libtool work, I suggest sending me a patch.

Best regards,

Kern