Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Gap of time without backup?

2017-05-26 07:56:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Gap of time without backup?
From: "Gary R. Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 21:55:41 +1000
On 26/05/2017 21:03, Michael Munger wrote:
Assuming the specified schedule, volume retention, and job retention... is there a possibility that you can have a failed full backup on the 1st Sunday that leaves you without /any /backup for 24 hours? (Previous full

Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - any backup regime that relies on everything happening *exactly* some way is wrong.

To take you example, and make it worse: how do you compensate for a longer than a forty-eight hour (i.e. weekend) power failure?

I am old fashioned[1], I have enough tapes for more than eighteen months of the next five years projected use, with a requirement for twelve months being live, and sending a full backup tape off site every month for a three month holiday. (And I can always, FSOV always, buy more tapes.) And I stash a full taken over the Christmas break as well, I have copies going back a few years.

I would consider any short-rotation plan that did not have at least a week of slack time as wasted effort.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)

1 - Yes, Virginia, I did things with 9-track upright tape drives, and DASD's the size of washing machines. ;-)