Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Incremental backups stacking up behind long-running job

2017-02-08 05:43:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] Incremental backups stacking up behind long-running job
From: mailing AT phiwa DOT eu
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 10:23:31 +0100
Hi guys,

I have a problem about the schedules of long-running jobs.

One of the directories ("archive) I need to backup regularly is about 6
TB and growing.
We therefore decided to go for a full backup once per quarter, a
differential one once per week and an incremental one every day.

The problem I now have is that I configured the job on Monday, so the
incremental job on Monday evening became a full backup which is running
a bit less than three days. Other jobs which would have been due later
on Monday evening and on Tuesday queued up - so far everything works as
expected, but now we are getting towards my problem:

One of the queued backups is the next incremental backup of "archive".
My expectation was that the incremental backup would run only some hours
after the full backup finishes, so the difference is really small and it
only takes some minutes and only requires a small amount of tape
storage. The problem now is that bacula does its check if there already
is a full backup of "archive" available when adding the job to the queue
and not when running it. Since the full backup has not been finished
yet, there is none and bacula turns the second incremental backup (and
probably the third one) into a full backup as well.

I'm currently running bacula 5.2.6, so my question is if anybody knows
a solution to this problem (apart from manually cancelling the queued
incremental jobs) or if an upgrade to bacula 7 might solve the problem.
The upgrade to 7.4 is planned for the future already.

I think, it would be helpful to have some kind of feature which
automatically cancels a job if there still is a previous run of it in
the queue to prevent incremental runs stacking up behind a long-running
job once per month/quarter/year. Is there anything like that in newer
versions of bacula already?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
Philipp Wagner