Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] correct strategy for mysql innodb and myisam backup

2017-01-12 09:16:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] correct strategy for mysql innodb and myisam backup
From: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 15:14:58 +0100
On Thursday 2017-01-12 08:36:53 Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Most applications that "require" MyISAM "require" it for no good reason,
> or depend on features that have historically been supported only by
> MyISAM but are now supported in InnoDB in current MySQL releases.  It
> bears case-by-case examination.  One of the most common reasons to
> "require" MyISAM is fulltext search, but the honest truth is that if
> you're making heavy use of fulltext search in MySQL you should probably
> be using an external fulltext engine such as Sphinx, SOLR, or Lucene
> for it anyway.  You might be shocked to find how many proprietary
> application that "require" MyISAM do so simply because "but we've always
> done it that way".

Nothing shocking there.

There are application written around year 2000 before the innodb and
certainly before innodb became mature.
Mysql is still getting nice innodb options and performance improvements
almost every year.

The fulltext search is the exactly the feature that might lock such
applications to myisam and that was the time before the dawn of
search engines such as sphinx, redis etc.

So if one is for some reason locked to specific old version of a
specific old proprietary application one can't do much than continue
with the MyISAM as innodb is not an option and external search engines
are not supported either.

I am not saying that innodb isn't a better mysql storage engine when
compared to MyISAM. I am saying that sometimes the innodb is not the
option and you have to stick with MyISAM for some time.

--
Josip Deanovic