Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual autochanger

2016-10-02 08:34:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual autochanger
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 15:31:59 +0300
> As you said, the Autochangers/Devices definitions on the initial
> bacula-sd.conf file are suggestions on how to use a virtual disk
> autochanger with Bacula.
> There is a lot of ways to work with disk volumes others that using disk
> autochangers, yes.
> It will mostly depend on your environment, needs, expectations of what you
> want/need.
>
> Could you please explain us better this "disks will be located in
> physically different locations"?

Maybe I'd better have omitted that last sentence (in parenthesis), it now
mislead the point into not-so-essential area. So I'll try to start over:

My primary interest was if I can drop the "virtual autochanger" and one of
the "devices" away from the example (derived from 7.0.5 example confs)
below, without a significant functionality loss in a small environment:

# Define a Virtual autochanger
#
Autochanger {
  Name = FileChgr1
  Device = FileChgr1-Dev1, FileChgr1-Dev2
  Changer Command = ""
  Changer Device = /dev/null
}

Device {
  Name = FileChgr1-Dev1
  Media Type = File1
  Archive Device = /bdisk1
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

Device {
  Name = FileChgr1-Dev2
  Media Type = File1
  Archive Device = /bdisk1
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

Which would essentially result in something like this:
(example copied from a very old sd.conf example of Bacula 2.4.0)

#Device {
#  Name = FileStorage
#  Media Type = File
#  Archive Device = /tmp
#  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
#  Random Access = Yes;
#  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
#  RemovableMedia = no;
#  AlwaysOpen = no;
#}

In other words: if the old short (without virtual autochanger) way to
describe the file storage still works as I believe, what is the significant
benefit gained if I define the autochanger?
So I've used a tape autochanger for years and I have a kind of understanding
how to configure it, but what is the idea why to add an autochanger resource
to file storage, without no obvious functionality?

Regards,
Timo