Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Use Bacula to copy plain files from clients?

2016-08-10 06:55:02
Subject: [Bacula-users] Use Bacula to copy plain files from clients?
From: Ralph Bolton <ralph.bolton AT calltracks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:28:47 +0100
Hi,

I've been happily using Bacula to backup my production servers for a while now. One thing that's missing from the mix is that I need to back up log files from servers and have them in fairly plain format for archiving.

At present, I've got some bash scripts which ssh/rsync logs from boxes back to a central server. If we need to refer to them then we can do so, otherwise after a period of time they get archived (so far, we're batching them up and sending them to Amazon Glacier). We keep logs mainly for regulatory reasons, so don't expect to need to retrieve them. We are also evaluating ELK for referring to logs, but having the original files in an 'easy' format is still a requirement.

I'd like to ask if there's a way I can get Bacula to replace my rsync scripts here? I'd craft a Full backup of the log locations on the client boxes, and have Bacula pull all those files for me, but instead of putting them into Bacula Storage Volumes, they'd be saved out as ordinary files (possibly in the original directory layout).

I guess I could have Bacula backup the logs into separate Storage Volumes, and then restore those volumes on the backup server to get the original files back. This seems like a lot of work (probably not worth it - the bash script seems easier). Other solutions would presumably need some changes/replacements for the Storage Daemon. Does anyone know of any such projects?

Cheers,

...Ralph