Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Webmin module will not start

2016-07-27 11:46:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Webmin module will not start
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 16:31:10 +0100
On 27/07/16 15:39, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> I strongly recommend you to move to MySQL or Postgresql. Please let us
>> know if you really need SQLite. I would say that SQLite in Bacula is
>> almost "deprecated".
> "Almost"?  I thought SQLite support had already been removed, or at
> least was unmaintained.

It is.

Sqlite is _only_ there for proof of concept (as in testing if bacula
suits your purposes)
   and should _never_(*) be used in a production environment.

(*) As in "you would have to be absolutely and completely crazy to use
SQlite in a production environment."

If you're backing up 1-2 machines (SOHO) then MySQL is fine. If you are
backing up anything larger, then use Postgres or you'll probabl end up
regretting it.

MySQL runs into major scaling (memory consumption) and tuning issues
very quickly, whilst Postgres is self-tuning and tends not to grow as
uncontrollably as MySQL does.

I run both, they're about as easy as each other to setup but MySQL is
significantly harder to keep running when things get complex, large or
high-load, rapidly growing to consume far more resources of all kinds
than the equivalent Postgresql installation.

Don't let anyone try and discourage using Postgres on complexity or
"usability" grounds and "I only know mysql" is a path to eternal pain.
MySQL was originally designed as a lightweight (compared to Postgresql)
system for fast mostly-read work on webservers and it's still firmly
rooted there. (It's great for web query engines and that's what we
mostly use it for.)