Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume corrupt?

2016-07-04 04:54:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume corrupt?
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Erwan RIGOLLOT <erwan AT rigollot DOT eu>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 10:53:45 +0200
To get around the problem, you must do three things:

1.  Specify the volume name as -V Full-0590 on the command line.
2. Add -c <path>/bacula-sd.conf to the command line
3. After the -V Full-xxx put the name of the Device in the Device resource that contains the path to the volume in the ArchiveDevice directive.

That should allow bls to work.  You can try first point it to a volume that is not broken.  I suggest that you start by also using the -k option.  That should list only blocks.

Even with all that, if the Volume is filled with zeros, you might not get very far.

Simply doing a Verify Volume run periodically (e.g. once a week) would probably be sufficient.  I'll leave it to the list to help you with that problem.

I am going to think about putting a "prototype" of such a Verify job into the default bacula-dir.conf file.  I do know that a number of Bacula Systems enterprise customers regularly run verifies, and a few even do "random" file restores.

Good luck on recovering something.

Best regards,
Kern