Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 1 second Network glitch kills Windows backups

2016-07-02 07:14:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 1 second Network glitch kills Windows backups
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 07:13:52 -0400
On 7/1/2016 4:30 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In general, the TCP/IP protocol that Bacula uses is extremely tolerant,
> and should retry sending packets quite a number of times before finally
> giving up.  It is designed to tolerate a significant number of dropped
> packets.  However, then there are two things that enter to screw this
> up: 1. network switches which do not follow internet rules at all (i.e.
> they are very fast to drop idle connections, even if you have explicitly
> set the network to survive idle periods as Bacula does); 2. Windows
> which does not seem to follow quite a few Internet rules.  The two put
> together mean that especially with on Windows machines, network
> disruptions are annoyingly frequent.

In particular, the 802.3az standard (Energy Efficient Ethernet), or
rather the various implementation of it in both switches and NICs, is
what I believe to be a major cause of these dropped connections. One
thing to try on Windows machines is to disable 802.3az support by
setting "Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings >
Properties.> Power Management > Allow the computer to turn off this
device to save power" to disabled.

I have also had issues with Macbook Air and Macbook Pro laptops dropping
active TCP connections when changing to low power states, in that case I
think turning off their wireless transmitter even though bacula-fd has
an active TCP connection to bacula-sd. Anyone know how to disable the
overly aggressive power management for Macs?