Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Tuning SD/FD/DIR Maximum Concurrent Jobs

2016-05-12 10:10:52
Subject: [Bacula-users] Tuning SD/FD/DIR Maximum Concurrent Jobs
From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 10:09:59 -0400
Dear All,
     I've been using Bacula for about 7 years and have never quite understood how to properly configure these values in relation to each other. In terms of an FD on a normal client I will typically use a Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5 setting in bacula-fd.conf.

On my "Backup Server" I run the FD, SD, and DIR. The FD I've set that parameter to 30, and 45 in the DIR and FD. I use the FD on the server to backup files from NFS mounts and locally written backups from client types that can only ftp/scp/sftp files (can't install bacula-fd on them)

    What I'm really after is some best practices or guidelines to setting Max Concurrent Jobs in all the resources based on number of clients, backup jobs, and number storage devices. I

t seems that every now and then I've got too many jobs in queue waiting for available storage devices. Sometimes the devices go out to lunch. They think they are reserved, but don't actually have anything mounted and won't mount any new volumes.

Thanks,
Shon