Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Why is my Bacula installation so slow when I use 2 drives?

2016-04-28 06:41:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] Why is my Bacula installation so slow when I use 2 drives?
From: bdam <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 03:40:11 -0700
Hi everyone, this is still part of the long running saga of me archiving 4
years worth of HD CCTV from 2 cameras onto 40+ LTO tapes. This isn't a problem,
but a question from an observation. The arrangement is there are pools for each
6 months, so I have H1-2014, H2-2014 etc. There are 2 identical SCSI LTO-3
drives on the server. I started one job on one tape drive and know it takes
about 3 hours for the tape change email, in fact this has always been the way.
The other tape drive was used for the dailys, but after some thought I realized
I can use it too and live without despooling the dailys until done, in other
words do separate jobs of basically the same data on 2 drives simultaneously.
This worked, but I'm not kidding, its taking 24 hours for each job to fill a
tape. I did all this to speed it all up! Can anyone suggest why this happened?
Thanks.