Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Restore

2016-03-23 14:08:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Restore
From: ahmad <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 07:37:34 -0700
Hello everyone,

I've recently started working with Bacula,
Everything is working well but i would like to understand restore a bit more.

I've found the best way to restore files is to use the brestore function in the
BAT console installed on Windows.
You can browse files and restore them all is great.
But the issue is when you set backups to keep (i've set it 3 days for testing
purposes)
If i browse a backup job older than 3 days, the job is empty (no files).
Although the file size is still there, and i expected the back to be
consolidated in the next job but no it didn't happen and the next jobs are
still incremental (very small size and file number assuming it's still seeing
the first FULL)

Is there an effective way to browse backed up files ? the Webmin interface to
restore files doesn't allow me to browse the files.
Can i open the volume and browse the backup archives ? is there an effective
way to view all backed up files and browse them and choose which one to restore
?
is it the right way to choose the number of days to keep backups or is there
another way that will allow backup consolidation ?

Thanks a lot

Ahmad