Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] onefs query

2016-02-18 17:06:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] onefs query
From: Peter Keller <pkeller AT sift DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:01:07 -0600
Hello,

I read the 7.2.0 codes and changed my fstype in the Options to just
be the ones that are actually supported and that I use.
However, it still faulted.

I tracked down the segfault to this line (bacula 7.2.0) fstype.c:271:

bstrncpy(ff_pkt->last_fstypename, fstype, sizeof(ff_pkt->last_fstypename));

The enclosing function is bool fstype(FF_PKT *ff_pkt, char *fs, int fslen).

The problem is that ff_pkt->last_fstypename is NULL, but the char* pointer
of the field is N bytes wide:

(gdb) p ff_pkt->last_fstypename
$9 = 0x0
(gdb) p sizeof(ff_pkt->last_fstypename)
$10 = 8

So, this code is just wrong. It may have been right once if FF_PKT's
last_fstypename has been something like a char[32] type, because then the
sizeof would be have been meaningful.

It seems that the field last_fstypename is not being handled very well in
that function...

Has this bug been fixed in 7.4.0?

If I were to fix this code, can I just use regular malloc()/free()
or do I have to deal with memory pools? Should I just give a size to
that field like char[32]? I'm really hesitant on doing the latter since
I don't know how many of these objects are created.

Then I would have to track down where bacula mallocs and frees
FF_PKT stuff like term_find_files() and such.

This is sort of a critical bug for me and motivated to have it fixed.
I'm willing to do the work and submit a patch.

Thank you!

-pete