Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Windows backup throughput with small files?

2016-02-15 13:56:57
Subject: [Bacula-users] Windows backup throughput with small files?
From: "paul.hutchings" <paul.hutchings AT protonmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:54:24 -0500
I'm still new to Bacula and I'm doing some testing of Windows performance.

If I have a client which I know has a good disk subsystem and which has good ethernet connectivity to the director/storage director, and a mixture of file types ranging from folders containing a few huge files through to folders containing thousands of small files, what I'm seeing if I monitor a job using various Windows tools is that the backup flies on the large files (large sequential reads I'm guessing) but when dealing with the thousands of small files the throughput is low.

I'm still getting my head around all the options in Bacula and wondered if anyone had any feedback on how to optimise Windows backups where there is a mixture of file sizes?

Thanks.