Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What to exclude?

2016-01-27 17:05:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What to exclude?
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:01:43 -0600
On 01/27/2016 03:42 PM, Michael Munger wrote:
> TLDR; = what can I safely exclude from a bacula backup of a Linux
server and still be able to fully recover (bare metal) from a disaster?

Not an answer to your question, but we are
- using raid-1s for system disks,
- using SSDs for system disks,
- dd'ing the system disk before the machine goes into service and
keeping the copy on the shelf,
- backing up /etc and crontabs and not caring about the rest of /.

I'll pick any of the above over a bare metal recovery from a backup
system (SSD being the best option ATM).

FWIW
--
Dimitri Maziuk