Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem bcopy tape to tape

2015-09-01 12:02:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem bcopy tape to tape
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: ebourgui <e.bourguinat AT allibert-trekking DOT com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 17:57:47 +0200
Hello,

I know that no informations are stored in database with bcopy. That's what I
want (to prevent database size growing too much).

Are you absolutely sure it is worth a such complications? A single backup file takes about 400B of database storage (including indexes). You can buy a 3TB HDD for about 100USD. A one million files in bacula catalog will cost about 1,21 cent in storage space. Compare it to your earnings. :)

These informations are
already stored in database for tape 1 (which is the original tape).

If you want to use a "cloned" tape2 with Bacula then you need to bscan it to the catalog.

Using
bcopy to copy tape 1 to tape 2 (keeping  volume name) would permit to have
exactly same database informations for tape 1 & 2 (and permit off-site
storage for tape 2).

No. The bcopy is not making a byte by byte copy of the original tape (the Unix/Linux utility dd makes this). In my opinion it is not guaranteed that the tapes will be the same. To use a "cloned" tape you should bscan it ti the catalog.

I used this functionality with 5.0.12 version and it worked.

You lucky man. :)

For information I can not use bextract because datas are encrypted with
bacula.

Yes, it is true.

*bconsole content*

*
/usr/local/bacula/var/bacula/working/bacula-dir.restore.132.bsr*

*Files to restore*

The catalog has a lot of metadata information about the backup and volume, i.e. a job table, file table, media table and the most important jobmedia table where Bacula stores volume "physical" mappings of the backup. A cloned tape could have a different jobmedia mappings then an original one.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net