Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Compile release 7.2.0 from sources failed in Centos 6.7

2015-09-01 10:50:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Compile release 7.2.0 from sources failed in Centos 6.7
From: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 16:45:18 +0200
On Tuesday 2015-09-01 10:06:57 Josh Fisher wrote:
> > Please consider providing statically compiled bacula-fd and other
> > useful tools such as bls, bextract, and possibly few others (with and
> > without openssl support).
> >
> > On Centos 6.x it is impossible to build statically compiled bacula-fd
> > without building and installing from source a number of libraries.
>
> Yes. It is getting increasingly difficult to get all of the static
> libraries installed. I don't think it is solely a Centos/RHEL issue.
>
> > For that purpose I had to install Debian and statically compile
> > bacula-fd and the accompanied tools which is very inconvenient,
> > especially for people who get into a trouble and then discover that
> > its almost impossible to find statically compiled recent version of
> > bacula tools.
> I used the opposite approach, which I believe is easier. Forget the
> static builds and create a live CD (or USB stick or virtual machine)
> that includes the dynamic libraries and dynamic versions of Bacula
> tools.

I prefer not to relay on availability of my custom live CD.
Instead, I have decided to use any rescue CD such as the first
Centos installation CD and then I just need to copy statically
compiled bacula-fd from a remote server.

Sometimes when there is a virtual server that need to be restored
one might not be able to upload customized rescue image. That's why
I prefer commonly used installation CD images with rescue support.

--
Josip Deanovic