Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tell bacula not to repeat backup when target moved

2015-08-28 05:12:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tell bacula not to repeat backup when target moved
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:08:10 +0200
Hello,

The situation is bacula has been doing a full backup of a CCTV system which goes back 2 years, its over 20 tapes. We want to keep these online, and hav bacula just backup the new videos as its doing now. In the server, there were several disks so the policy was to create one root folder per year, e.g. 2014, and have symlinks under for the 12 months /2014/01-Jan, 2014/02-Feb etc. That's because they took up so much disk space the actual folders were scattered around different drives. All was well with bacula - an incremental job, which on first run was promoted to full, was carefully set up so it followed these symlinks and has put all the data on the 20 tapes.

We now have added bigger disks and so want to move the target folders to them. From the top level, the 2014, 2015 "tree" hasn't changed, that's the point of symlinks. But bacula sees the symlink as changed so wants to run the whole job again. What I really want is to move the files over, but tell bacula to ignore these "artifical" changes, otherwise we'll be pointlessley filling up another 20 tapes just to get back to where we are now.

Let's imagine you are a Bacula and you've got a following situation described above. How do you distinguish with 100% accuracy that new files are the same as in prievous backup? Again, with 100% accuracy.

When you answer to above question, that will be an answer to your.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net