Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Still don't get auto-pruning

2015-08-12 04:07:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Still don't get auto-pruning
From: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>
To: "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:05:05 +0000

I still don’t really get auto-pruning, I think.

Am I seeing ‘prune’ and ‘purge’ as more closely related than they are?

Snippet from the manual, about what happens when Bacula needs a volume:

AutoPrune = yes|no

If AutoPrune is set to yes (default), Bacula will automatically apply the Volume retention period when running a Job and it needs a new Volume but no appendable volumes are available. At that point, Bacula will prune all Volumes that can be pruned (i.e. AutoPrune set) in an attempt to find a usable volume.

Either my configuration is still wrong after reviewing it several times, or that “prune all volumes” doesn’t mean that more than one will be purged at that time.

The way I see it happen, it just recycles the oldest volume and leaves all others alone, no matter how far ‘over date’ they are.

I’ve got file volumes with volume, file and job retention all set to 3 months, that are 4 months old and still sitting on disk marked “full”.

When I try to list jobs or files on those volumes, it doesn’t find them in the database anymore.

In another pool (used for incremental backups) it’s the same with retentions of 15 days, full files of 3 months old still sitting there.

Is the only way to purge the excess volumes to do it manually (or create a bconsole script)?