Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup finished, but "Fatal error: Network error with FD"/"Connection reset by peer"

2015-08-06 10:11:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup finished, but "Fatal error: Network error with FD"/"Connection reset by peer"
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 10:11:30 -0400

On 8/6/2015 5:09 AM, Raimund Sacherer wrote:
> Hello Josh, Bacula-users,
>

>> I have seen this before as well, although not with FreeBSD. Bacula-dir
>> expects the TCP connection with the client to remain up throughout the
>> entire job. In my case I concluded that it was aggressive Windows power
>> management shutting down the Ethernet interface PHY. I continue to have
>> problems with Mac OSX clients power management shutting down the
>> wireless PHY, but have not had time to investigate. With Windows 7 it is
>> possible to disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to
>> save power" setting in the Power Management tab of the network adapter's
>> Properties. It depends on the NIC driver as to whether or not this is
>> needed. Some drivers report that they handle various sleep states when
>> they in fact do not, or at least they do not return to D0 state in a
>> timely manner.
> We do not backup client computers, only servers. I really sincerely hope that
> a Windows Server does not do ethernet shutdowns or power management :-). But
> I am a Unix guy ...

Yes, but server NICs supporting 802.3az are green independently of the
OS, other than the NIC driver sending a Low Power Idle request. The
firmware shuts down the PHY transmitter after a period of sending LPI
symbols, and the Dir-FD connection is idle for an extended time. What do
pre-2010 switches without 802.3az support do when those NICs shut down
their transmitters? If they are green enough to shutdown the port then
it may well look like a dropped connection on one end or the other.

>> And finally, many switches also have TCP timeout settings and/or EEE and
>> power management that could potentially not work correctly with either
>> the FreeBSD or the Windows network stacks.
> That sound's interesting, I saw a couple of posts talking about a keepalives,
> I will configure our FD's, SD's an the director for a 300 seconds timeout and
> we will see if we still get those errors.
>
> Maybe it has nothing to do with the switch to FreeBSD, because at nearly the
> same time we migrated our servers from physical servers to VMWare, maybe it's
> the virtual vmware switch which makes troubles.
>
> Well, in either case, i'l see how it goes with the keep alive configured,

Let us know, please. I had mixed results with the keep alive, while
replacing an old switch seemed to magically fix Windows clients.