Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Performance settings for large file LTO-6 backup

2015-06-26 15:21:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Performance settings for large file LTO-6 backup
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: Andrew Noonan <anoonan AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:17:06 -0300
Hello Andrew,

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Andrew Noonan <anoonan AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Hi all,

     After wrestling with a Dell TL4000 in the thread marked "Dell
TL4000 labeling timeout", it looks like the autochanger is going to be
fine thanks to the efforts of several people, especially Ana, on this
list.

​Thank you :)​

     Moving forward, I'm about to start running jobs to at first
backfill a large dataset (about 250TB), and then do daily backups of
the dataset.  The dataset itself is tens of millions of small,
compressed files, so I don't particularly want to back the raw files
up in bacula, as the database would likely become quite unhappy with
me, so instead I've got a staging directory where I tar up a
time-sequence of the files, and then I'll use bacula to back up that
file, which is named with the time sequence contained inside.  These
tapes are to be archived offsite indefinitely.

​Are you going to generate a .tar of about 250TB every day? Which will be the nature of your restores? You´re going to need always the restore of the whole data set or occasionally you will need to restore a small set of files?

My questions are this:

1)  For the backfill, should I shoot for creating single files about
2.5TB in size to completely fill the tapes?

​If you ​occasionally need to restore small set of files, so this is a good idea. Not having a gigant .tar spanned into lots of tapes. This way you will need to restore the whole .tar first and then extract the files.

2)  If I make a tar larger then a tape's storage capacity (LTO-6),
will bacula automatically span tapes?

​Yes.​

3)  Given the size of the tars, the serial nature of the backup, and
the dedicated nature of the autochanger (this is its only purpose),
are there any tuning parameters I can use to speed up the tape writes
given the giant few files nature of things?

​Yes, there are a few parameters that can be configured to speed up tape writes and backup jobs. You can take a look on the btape utility (http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/en/utility/utility.pdf) for testing purposes of your autochanger configuration.

4)  Is there anything about this that seems like a terrible, terrible idea?

Thanks,
Andrew

​You´re welcome. Regards,
Ana​