Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow Attribute spooling

2015-06-08 09:47:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow Attribute spooling
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 14:44:03 +0100
On 08/06/15 11:25, Denis Witt wrote:

> On the SD there are about no IO-Operations. iotop shows some 100KB
> once in a while. CPU is 100% idle, same on the Director.

OK, I missed you were despooling attributes.

> The MySQL-Machine writes more or less constant 450KB/sec. to disk
> (mysql process). top shows about 20% wait and 76% idle.

That looks like an out-of-memory condition (waits are bad news).

Either you don't have enough memory allocated to the DB and it's using
temporary files or you don't have enough memory in the machine and it's
swapping.

> So it shouldn't slow down things that much.

It does though. Writing to the database can take quite a while if there
are a large number of files in the backup.

MySQL is small and fast but it becomes a memory hog very quickly.

You should consider converting to Postgresql if MySQL has grown past
about 6-10Gb footprint.