Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Autochanger

2015-06-05 12:30:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Autochanger
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 12:28:48 -0400

On 6/5/2015 6:17 AM, Jogi Hofmüller wrote:
Dear all,

We recently bought two identical HP Ultrium 448i tape drives.  We want
to use them with Bacula and found the white paper "Best Practices for
Disk Backup" [1] that describes how to configure a virtual autochanger.
 We applied the necessary changes in order to model our two drives
combined in one virtual autochanger and tried it with a backup job that
needs more than one tape.

No. That is not possible. When a job starts up, it is assigned a Device resource (from bacula-sd.conf) to write to. It is not assigned to the Autochanger resource, but rather one of its Device resources (ie. one of the tape drives). This assignment happens only once at job start. Once the device is assigned, Bacula then begins selecting volumes to use in THAT device.But it will not change devices in the middle of a job.

Using two tape drives in a virtual autochanger will work, though. It is fine for running concurrent jobs without having to manually configure jobs to spread the load, but it will not allow big jobs to span tapes without operator intervention.

Bacula used the first tape as expected but when in came to use the
second tape it requested the second tape to be mounted in the first
drive although the tape was correctly mounted in the second drive.

Now I would like to ask the experts if it is possible to make a setup
like I described work and if so, what we did wrong so far.  We are
currently using bacula 5.2.6 from Debian stable (8.0 aka jessie).  So
far we have been using bacula with one drive for the past 10 years or so
and did not have any problems.

Here are the relevant portions of our configs:

<bacula-dir.conf>

Storage {
  Name = TapeChanger
  Address = 127.0.0.1
  Password = "03292ab58a34fc3895a70a0d6581581c6105a5fd"
  Device = Virtual
  Media Type = Ultrium2
  Autochanger = yes
}

JobDefs {
  Name = "DefaultJob"
  Type = Backup
  Client = hamster-file
  FileSet = HomeBackupFileSet
  Messages = Standard
  Storage = TapeChanger
  Priority = 10
}

Job {
  Name = "BackupFiles"
  JobDefs = DefaultJob
  Schedule = DailySchedule
  Pool = WeeklyPool
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/BackupFiles.bsr"
}

</bacula-dir.conf>

<bacula-sd.conf>

Autochanger {