Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] maximum client file size

2015-05-21 03:08:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] maximum client file size
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Devin Reade <gdr AT gno DOT org>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 09:06:41 +0200
Hello,

Well, when backing up and restoring, Bacula really does not care about
the size of the original file.  It simply read()s blocks for backup and
write()s them for restore. Bacula does keep 64 bit addresses.  On the SD
output end, if you do not limit your Volume size, there will surely be
some problems at 2^63.  Of course, who would ever want to write such a
large volume?

Note: if I am not mistaken, all the lseek() functions 32/64 return a
signed value, which means that practically one is limited to 2^63 bits
for addresses.

Best regards,
Kern