Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula newbie has some questions.

2015-03-16 14:46:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula newbie has some questions.
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:42:07 -0700
7.x works just fine.  There's not really any technical reason that it isn't in the distros yet, more just that nobody working with the various distros has taken the time to package it and put it in their repositories.  I was able to build it quite easily myself, there's several features that are improved enough I'd say it's well worth putting in the effort.

Windows clients are currently stuck at 5.x, but they work fine with 7.x.  The director needs to be >= the client versions so old clients work fine with a new director, but not vice versa.  I have plenty of 5.x clients working with my 7.x director and storage daemon.

You might want to consider just doing an incremental backup say Mon/Tues, a differential Wed and then incrementals again Thurs/Fri/Sat? Unless you really really need differentials for some reason?  Right now you're backing up the same data again and again every day which you may not want.  IE anything new created on Monday gets backed up Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  If all the data is going to the same volume then really just using incremental all week and not bothering with a differential at all would probably be fine.  There wouldn't really be any substantial impact on restore given you're not using tapes.

Bryn