Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 0 files restored from bacula backup

2015-01-24 11:23:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 0 files restored from bacula backup
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: Peter van Heusden <pvh AT sanbi.ac DOT za>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 13:16:52 -0300 (BRT)
I manually repopulated the database using bscan (is there a better / less laborious way to do this?) and did the restore again, now my files came back as expected.
You are not supposed to use bscan often, since your file, job and volume retention should be enough to allow you to restore any file through bscan / gui + Bacula Catalog. It's a disaster recovery tool.
Other ways to restore Bacula Catalog information are:
1. DB dump import, mainly if you loose all your Bacula database.
2. bls + bextract, that can be very usefull to restore a few files from a volume, without the need of recreating all backup indexes with bscan.

Regards,
Heitor Medrado de Faria  - LPIC-III | ITIL-F
Jan. 26 - Fev. 06 - Novo Treinamento Telepresencial Bacula: http://www.bacula.com.br/?p=2174

In between I also had done a copy job to copy the relevant full backup from tape to disk, so I'm not sure which of these steps changed the outcome of my restore.

Peter