Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Schedule and Reserve Tape Drives

2014-12-22 02:10:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] Schedule and Reserve Tape Drives
From: Patrick <jummo4 AT yahoo DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 08:06:10 +0100
Hi,

I have a questions about the scheduling and reserving tape drives.

One Example:

Two tape devices in one library. About 6 scheduled jobs each weekend in a
specific order.

Sat 06:00 - Job 1 - Long run time
Sat 07:00 - Job 2 - Long run time
Sat 13:00 - Job 3 - Short run time
Sat 13:00 - Job 4 - Short run time
Sat 17:00 - Job 5 - Short run time
Sat 17:00 - Job 6 - Short run time

Job 1 runs till 22:00 on drive 1 and Job 2 runs till 20:00 on drive 2. At 13:00
Job 3 and Job 4 starts and goes into “Jobs waiting to reserve a drive:” on
drive 1 and Job 5 and 6 starts at 17:00 and goes into “Jobs waiting to reserve
a drive:” on drive 2.

Now at 20:00 Job 2 finished and Job 5 and Job 6 will start and not Job 3 and
Job 4 as desired.

I have seen this behaviour two weekends in a row. I don’t know if it randomly
selected by the jobs which drives they will wait for. My belief is that the job
just waits on all drives and select the next available one automatically.

Best Regards,
Patrick