Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] pruning of virtual full jobs

2014-12-11 12:18:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] pruning of virtual full jobs
From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:11:30 -0500
This is probably a question for Kern or perhaps should be better posted
to bacula-devel but I'll send it here since others may have experienced
or have comments on this.

Assume you are running Virtual Fulls every x days (aka the Max Full
Interval for Virtual Fulls) and also have retention periods for
clients/volumes set.  When a client that comes and goes is ready for a
new Virtual Full, it's possible that there have been no new
Incremental/Differential backups since the last Virtual Full.  So, it
simply makes a new "copy" of the last Virtual Full which makes sense.
When you then run a prune of that client, it will look at the JobTDate
of the Virtual Full job and see the date of the original last "real"
backup for that client and depending on the retention defined will
delete the job information which then leads to an error on it's next
backup attempt.  At this point, you have to get the client in and do a
new Full for that job.

The issue really seems to be whether or not for Virtual Fulls, pruning
should use the real job termination time and not the job termination
time that gets dragged forward from the last "real" backup that was
done.  It seems to me that it should but I can see an argument the other
way as well since the actual data you're storing has aged past your
retention periods.

--tom