Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] File volumes and scratch pool

2014-10-07 16:10:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] File volumes and scratch pool
From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: Peter Wood <peterwood.sd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 15:51:48 -0400
> My volumes are of type files so using new volumes vs recycling expired
> ones just fills up the file system with old data. It makes it hard to
> manage and forecast filesystem space needs.
>
> I have never understood Bacula's desire to override my policy and insist
> on preserving data that I already defined as useless.

If one of the issues is getting rid of old data that goes beyond the
retention period then one should be able to use the truncate volume on
purge directive and then set up a way then to ask Bacula to purge those
volumes once they are moved into your recycle pool (via a separate
job/script that runs the appropriate bconsole commands).  As far as I
understand things, Bacula won't do the truncate automatically when it
marks the volume as purged and moves it into the recycle pool.

Bacula will still use new never before used volumes when it grabs one
from the recycle pool (although I suspect if you knew what you were
doing you could get around that by updating the proper time
stamps/attributes on the media records for the truncated volumes so they
would appear as "new") but if the used volumes are truncated then they
won't fill up the file system and the backup data should be deleted.

hope this helps,

--tom