Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using two pools for backup

2014-08-02 01:31:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using two pools for backup
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Ross Williamson <rwilliamson AT astro.caltech DOT edu>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 07:25:26 +0200
Hello,

Some points:

1. You can combine your Full and Differential run directives on two
directives, which will in my opinion be easier to read with:

   Run = Level=Full Pool=File on 1st sun jan,mar,may,jul,sep,nov at 00:00
   Run = Level=Differential Pool=File on 1st sun feb,apr,jun,aug,oct,dec
at 00:00

2. Separating jobs into Pools separates them for pruning (i.e.
expiration) but does not separate them for restoration.  This is because
when doing backups and restores, Bacula considers all the jobs of the
same name as a group or in its entirety.  To completely disassociate the
Incrementals, you need to use a different Job name.  The first will
upgrade to a Full, then your incrementals will be separate and more or
less duplicate what you backup in the other job.

3. You can probably do something closer to what you really want, but it
is a bit more complicated, by having everything running under the same
job, but periodically you do a Virtual Full, which would essentially
combine your Full, Differential, and all your Incrementals into one big
full.  To make it reliable, I recommend that you run the Accurate option
on your Incremental jobs.  That ensures that you will never miss backing
up an important file.

4. If you do not do a Virtual Full, you will need to keep all of your
incrementals at lease as long as the period between your last Full or
Differential (i.e. one month).  This is quite possible, but you may end
up requiring a very large number of incremental jobs to do a Full restore.

Best regards,
Kern