Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula & MSL6000 "Fault code : 3200 (Hard) Shuttle

2014-07-17 22:28:06
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula & MSL6000 "Fault code : 3200 (Hard) Shuttle
From: jstacey <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:10:06 -0700
Ok I must of scared everyone away, but I have an update that might make this
more clear.

I removed the aj029a drive from the MSL6000 to investigate using HP LTT tools
in a windows environment. I went through all the tests no problem, and then
thirty minutes later with only forty seconds left in the test, HP LTT tools
hung "not responding" while the tape was rewinding. I waited for a while (ten
minutes) for the program to resume but then I realized what was happening. The
tape drive was doing the same thing in the windows environment it had been
doing with Bacula in Linux. It just drops off the radar while rewinding, and
disappears from the device manager! In linux it's the same then I must use a
script to rescan the scsi bus. This is why tapes were getting stuck in the
MSL600 tape library using Bacula. Do these drives get too hot while rewinding
then shut off as a safety mechanism? Bad caps?

 (http://postimg.org/image/txb2zuizn/)

So why would a HP 1840 LTO4 drive work fine with reading and writing processes
but then just die during a rewind each time??   Is it something I can doctor or
should I chuck the unit and get a new one? Someone has just offered me a new
#PD093G#804 unit for 400$ so I'm thinking of just taking that to avoid this
mess.