Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Automated Disk Backup - VirtualFull and the Default Pool

2014-05-22 03:14:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Automated Disk Backup - VirtualFull and the Default Pool
From: Florian Baumgartner <bfloriang AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 09:12:16 +0200
Hey guys,

I was playing around with the VirtualFull feature in Bacula (running 7.0.3) in a configuration that has a Full, Differential and Incremental Pools as well as a Default pool. I was following the example given in the documentation but have the intention to extending it with VirtualFull to accommodate my use-case.

http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Automated_Disk_Backup.html

Now first of all the example from the documentation doesn't define a Default pool and the director won't even start. I've therefore created a default pool with as little configuration as possible.

The issues when I try to run a VirtualFull for my Backup Job from the console is that it responds with: "No Next Pool specification found in Pool "Default"." If I specify the NextPool to be the FullPool it complains about: "Fatal error: No Storage specification found in Next Pool"

For the different backup levels I have defined which pool to use in the Job definition.

Full Backup Pool = Xylou-Full
Incremental Backup Pool = Xylou-Incr
Differential Backup Pool = Xylou-Diff

It seems there is no VirtualFullBackupPool key (yet?), but I also don't see why the VirtualFull could not happen in the Full Backup Pool.

I was under the impression that the VirtualFull would not need a separate pool anymore in Bacula 7.0.x and am really hoping to work around implementing a virtual tape library or migration jobs after a VirtualFull run so any advice how I can make VirtualFulls working without those would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!