Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] New feature request - comma operators in schedules

2014-04-13 04:17:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] New feature request - comma operators in schedules
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Heath Petersen <Heath AT HPetersenFamily DOT com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:11:13 +0200
On 04/12/2014 09:54 PM, Heath Petersen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
> wrote:
>> Hello Heath,
>>
>> On 04/12/2014 04:19 PM, Heath Petersen wrote:
>>> http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001450000000000000000
>>> does not mention the comma operator.  That is what I was going by.  I
>>> guess I should have tried it.  Thanks for the information and quick
>>> reply.
>> I think you are right that the comma operator is not specified, but if
>> you look at the BNF, you will see that multiple keywords for both months
>> and days can be specified by separating them with spaces, which is
>> actually the most common way of doing it.  The BNF also shows the range
>> specifications.
> I am not fluent in BNF but still don't see where it shows that you can
> separate them by spaces.  Would you mind cutting and pasting that part
> in a reply so I can understand it?
After a bit more examination, it might just be that the BNF is not
complete.  Each of the <xxx-spec> items should be written as the
date-spec is written:
    <date-spec> = <date> | <date-spec>

That is it is defined recursively so that you can have multiple <date>
values.  All the <xxx-spec> (or most of them) are recursive, so in the
<month-spec>  there is a missing <month-spec> on the right side of the
equation.  Interesting that in 12 years no one has pointed it out (not
even the author -- me).

Clearly a few more examples could be useful.  You get plenty in the
course.  I.e. one of the exercises on Schedules is (from memory) to
write a Schedule for a year that does a Full backup bi-monthly on say
Sunday at 3:05am, with a differential every Sunday except when the Full
is run, and an Incremental all other days.  About 1/3-1/2 of the
students are able to figure it out.  There should only be one backup per
day.

Best regards,
Kern