Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Removable Disk Vchanger

2014-02-28 23:47:33
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Removable Disk Vchanger
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 23:41:42 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Removable Disk Vchanger
To: WebDawg <webdawg AT hackspherelabs DOT com>

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM, WebDawg <webdawg AT hackspherelabs DOT com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw that Josh Fisher was on this list so I am email it about this guide:
> http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=removable_disk
>

> I am new to Bacula and I would like to use some hard drives I have instead
> of tapes.  I am having trouble understanding a magazine and its slots and
> the relationship to using hard disks.
>

> Why would this be a common practice?:
>
> magslots=20
> maxdrive=1
>
> Why would I want more then one slot per hard drive?

So you can recycle a slot which is much smaller than a hard drive.
Remember that recycling is all or none. So if you make the volume the
entire size of a hard drive to recycle you have to recycle every job
stored on the hard drive.  At home I use a virtual autochanger with 40
5GB slots and 2 magazines with each magazine being on a different hard
disk (one external one internal). At work I use a tape autochanger.
But at work I have 180 tapes and 50TB+ to store in my backups..

John

--
John M. Drescher